Friday 4 December 2015

Bah Humbug - It's December AGAIN! - 21 days to go

Christmas muzak and hail storms.


Yes, I meant to spell it that way. Muzak, not music, because you cannot call what assaults your ears every time you walk into a shopping mall or supermarket, music. And, especially not at this time of the year.

The supermarket close to where I live believes in serenading their shoppers with a compilation of The Carpenters, Elton John, Abba and Neil Diamond. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this genre of music, but after a while, like the Christmas muzak, it becomes repetitive and I find myself pushing my trolly around the store on a mission - a mission to leave as soon as I can.



Christmas muzak in Singapore doesn't feel quite right, either. "Let it snow, let it snow". I don't think so. With an average daily temperature of some 30o + C and an annual average humidity of over 80%, there is little chance of snow. So, no, Dean Martin, I fear, no matter how much you allow it, it will not snow in Singapore.



That said, in June 2013, we were treated to a hail storm. Yes, hail fell in Singapore. OK, not snow, but real hail, nasty hard stuff, thumping down on you like a large basket of golf balls of ice suddenly chucked out of a cloud. The same phenomenon hit Singapore in 2008 and there is conjecture that it was a result of cloud seeding to dissipate the haze that seems to shroud us for longer and longer periods every year. 





https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,Singapore,Singapore


http://news.asiaone.com/News/Haze/Story/A1Story20130626-432542.html


http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/hail-reported-in-the-western-end-of-singapore


No comments:

Post a Comment