Saturday 3 December 2016

Bah Humbug! - It's December AGAIN - 22 more days to go

Twenty-two days to go. No choice. I have to put the Christmas tree up.

I have put it off long enough.

The box was small, and it felt rather lightweight. What had I ordered? I knew I should have ordered the 6ft tree. But then, it might have been really wide. The five foot one, from the box, looks like it might have been subject to some austerity cuts. I suppose I did rather propose a Scrooge-led Christmas.

Having erected the tree,  I stood back to admire it. My, was it short.

Nothing for it.

I would have to cheat. So out came the leather packing case. Out came a large slab of cardboard. Out came a Christmas-looking table cloth. Suddenly the tree was a foot taller. I had a 6ft Christmas tree for the price of a 5ft. Definitely in keeping with getting more for less.

Next the lights. I refuse to purchase new lights, unless of course all of them are liable to electrocute me. This year, only one set decided to embark on some mad random frenzy and take no notice of how many times I pushed the stupid button.

I wondered whether Scrooge would have thrown them out or bypassed the control box. Now that's an idea.

The tree being someone smaller than I had anticipated, only required two strands of fairy lights this year - definitely an austerity tree.

So, there we are - savings all round.

Smaller tree = less capital outlay
Smaller tree = fewer branches = less fairy lights = less opex.



I could go into business, offering Austerity Christmas Decorating services.

The only downside with that - I suspect, given that this involves austerity, I am not sure how many paying customers I would actually attract.

And so, once again, before I decorate the tree, I am reduced to a glum Bah, flipping, Humbug.




No comments:

Post a Comment