Friday 13 December 2013

The Thirteenth Day Before Christmas - Bah Humbug

Bah Humbug, it's 12th December. Only 13 more days to go and I am not feeling very Christmasy at all. I want to postpone it. Why can't we put it off for a couple of weeks? I have the flu and a rather runny nose. I've already quoted Spike Milligan on noses, and written about tissues and posies.

Grumpy day today. I work up too early this morning with a runny nose (thank you Spike) and a fever. So, I padded downstairs. There was a strange eerie silence as the lights twinkled on the Christmas tree. I was half expecting to find a cat at the bottom of the stairs moaning for food, but they were both fast asleep, curled up like misshapen balls of fluff. I had to turn the light on though as I don't like going downstairs at night incase one of them has decided to bring in a Fukushima'd cockroach. I found one under the kitchen mat the other evening - screech ensued. Reminds me of long legged spiders that used to come in from the trees where I lived in England.

Fever is the body's response to an infection, it can be bacterial or viral. It is thought that an elevated temperature has something to do with boosting the body's immune response. Although this is debatable depending upon the type and degree of fever.

There is a maxim:

Feed a cold, Starve a fever.


According to an article in the New Scientist, and a recent BBC World feature, this might have some substance.


Dutch scientists have found that eating a meal boosts the type of immune response that destroys the viruses responsible for colds, while fasting stimulates the response that tackles the bacterial infections responsible for most fevers.


Kissing passes on disease, no wonder Peggy has a fever!

BAH HUMBUG

I wonder if Peggy had 12 drummers drumming for her on that song?



No comments:

Post a Comment